Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Baby Story Time Board Books

A big component of our under 2 story times in my library system is the sharing of a board book.  We pass them out to everyone in the group and do a group read along.  Personally, I love this component because the parents and children are sharing the book.  It shows the kids that reading is fun for everyone, which motivates them to want to read in the future.

Last fall, a couple of us were looking for new titles to use and had a big Twitter conversation.  I always love to see what others are using as every story time presenter seems to have their own style as to what will work for them.  I will be honest-some of our current collection doesn't work for me, but it works for others.  Since I am newer to this location, I have been adding new titles that fit my style as I can.  I am more of a singer so I like books that flow or rhyme.


At my location, all of our board book sets are stored in a closet right in the story time room.  This makes it convenient.  Plus, once you see the inside of the closet, you will realize that board books are about all it can hold.


As you can see, the shelves are not very deep, but they are perfect for board books.  All of our sets are cataloged with a special spine label and a blue professional reference sticker.  This helps us find the titles easily when they accidentally get interfiled with the regular board book collection.


So I can easily find stuff, all sets are together.  They are also in alphabetical order by author's last name.  There is a label on the inside of the door as to what should be on each shelf.  Our full collection can be seen here

If you would like to see how another location stores their copies, one of our branches also collects board book sets.  This is nice because we can trade as needed.  Their copies are also cataloged and labeled.  They have open shelves in the staff workroom for their copies.



What do you do with your story time board books and what titles do you have?  I am always looking for new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...