Thursday, July 31, 2014

Biography Display Shelves

In our library, the biography section has horrible circulation.  It's one of those areas where books may check out 1 time a year, rather than every three weeks.  For the most part, checkouts in this area tend to be assignment driven.  I am hoping to change this.  Since displays tend to increase circulation, I created a display in the biography section that can rotate as often as we need it to.


This is the "before" picture.  As you can see, I have a lot of empty shelf space, which made shifting easy.  The problem with shelves like this is that they don't really encourage browsing.  Books can easily get lost in a section.


This is the "after" picture.  I shifted the first couple of ranges so the first two shelves in the area were empty.  If this works, then I may shift a little more so the whole first range is empty.  My first display is of baseball players.  Baseball is a big thing in Metro Detroit thanks to the Tigers.  I plan for the displays to fit various homework assignments (African Americans in February, women in March, etc.) or to pull out cool people who get lost in the section.

1 comment:

  1. I need to do this too! And baseball is HUGE here too, so I may start there as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...